Dr. NG Kit-ying (Angel)
BA Physical Geography (HKU)
MPhil Slope Geomorphology (HKU)
PhD Landslide Hazard Assessment (Durham University)
CGeog (Geomorph) - Chartered Geographer (Specialising in Geomorphology)
CGeol - Chartered Geologist
Research & Development Projects at Arup:
- Morphometric Analysis from Digital Elevation Models
- Climate Change Induced Land Degradation: An Automated Approach to Country Scale Assessment
- Enhanced Geohazard Assessment Using LiDAR Data & GIS
- Geomorphological Techniques
- Aerial Photo Database
Academia-Industry Research Collaboration:
- Semi-automated geomorphological mapping for multi-hazard and risk assessment (MSc in Risk Research at Durham University, 2021)
- Characteristics of glacial lake outburst flood in Central Asia (MSc in Risk Research at Durham University, 2019)
- Hydrologic optimum of water-repellent soils for slope protection (GRF funded PhD research at the University of Hong Kong, 2015-2017)
Lourenco, S.D.N., Cleall, P.J. and Ng, K.Y. (2019) Erodibility of synthetic water repellent granular materials: adapting the ground to weather extremes. Science of the Total Environment, 689, 398-412.
Petley, D.N., Carey, J.M., Ng, K.Y., Massey, C.I., Froude, M.J. (2017) Understanding patterns of movement for slow moving landslides. Proceedings of the 20th NZGS Geotechnical Symposium, New Zealand, Nov 23-26, 1-11.
Zheng, S., Lourenco, S.D.N., Cleall, P.J., Chui, T.F.M., Ng, K.Y. and Millis, S.W. (2017) Hydrologic behaviour of model slopes with synthetic water repellent soils. Journal of Hydrology, 554, 582-599.
Zheng, S., Lourenco, S.D.N., Cleall, P.J., Millis, S.W., Ng, K.Y. and Chui, T.F.M. (2017) Synthetic water repellent soils for slope stabilization. In Mikos et al. (eds) Advancing Culture of Living with Landslides, Vol. 3: Advances in Landslide Technology. 4th World Landslide Forum, Ljublijana, Slovenia, May 29-June 2, 2017. Cham: Springer International Publishing.
Ng, K.Y. (2014) On becoming a geomorphologist. Invited article for the Annals of the Geographical, Geological and Archaeological Society, The University of Hong Kong, Issue 37, 22-39.
Ng, K.Y. and Petley, D.N. (2009) The use of pore pressure reinflation testing in landslide management in Hong Kong. Quarterly Journal of Engineering Geology and Hydrogeology, 42, 487-498.
Ng, K.Y. (2006) Landslide locations and drainage network development: a case study in Hong Kong. Geomorphology, 76, 229-239.
Peart, M.R., Ng, K.Y. and Zhang, D.D. (2005) Landslides and sediment delivery to a drainage system: some observations from Hong Kong. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, 25 (5), 821-836.
Petley, D.N., Higuchi, T., Ng, K.Y., Dunning, S.A., Rosser, N.J., Petley, D.J., Bulmer, M.H. (2005) Towards a new framework for the analysis of slope movements in weathered materials. Geophysical Research Abstracts, vol. 7, 06523. European Geosciences Union 2nd Assembly, Nice, April 2005. EGU05-A-06523.
Ng, K.Y. (2002) The nature of Geomorphology: a historical review in philosophy of science. Annals of the Geographical, Geological and Archaeological Society, The University of Hong Kong, 29, 20-38.
Ng, K.Y. (2001) Factors affecting the spatial distribution of landslides on Lantau Island—a statistical approach. Hong Kong Geologist, 7, 9-17.
- Physical Geography
- Natural Hazards
- Applied Geomorphology
- Terrain Evaluation Techniques using LiDAR and GIS
- Geohazard Assessment
- Nature-based Solutions
- Landslide early warning systems
- Editorial Board Member, Quarterly Journal of Engineering Geology and Hydrogeology
- Scrutineer for Professional Chartership Assessment, the Geological Society of London
- Fellow, Geological Society of London
- Fellow, Royal Geographical Society with the Institute of British Geographers
- Trainer, Arup University Professional Module – Air Photo Interpretation
- Trainer, Arup University Professional Module – Natural Terrain Hazard Assessment and Mitigation
- Mentor, Mentorship Programme of the University of Hong Kong